Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kickstarting the creative engine

I've been in the doldrums of late. Moving forward mostly on momentum and apathy with little drive or spark. Part of it's been the weather and time of year. (Thanks for that mid-April snowstorm, Mother Nature! Now it looks like December again...) Part of it's been health issues. Mostly, though, I think it's down to not doing a lot of creative stuff. I don't draw much any more. I rarely take out the camera. My writing has slowed to a trickle and it's been a victory if I get a good sentence or two on the page. Hell, even my reading has taken a hit - it's taken me a month to read two books.

I've come to the realization that this is a nasty cycle. I don't create, there's less creativity in my life, I create less. That's no good for me - I've always had some kind of creativity in my life, whether it's writing, drawing, painting minis, or making videos. SOMETHING. Without it, I'm feeling pretty grey and washed out.

That leads me to the reason for this post, which is to announce that I'm going to try and dedicate at least three days out of my week (I wanted to say 5, but probably better to start small) to creating something and/or sharing it. I don't know what it'll be - some days you might get an old, bad poem, another day a new, bad photo - but it'll be SOMETHING I made, something I created. I hope that helps kickstart my inner engine, gets me excited and invested again.

So keep an eye on this space. There may be a reason to, eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment