Friday, October 4, 2013

That Went Well...

So, 52 Weeks of Horror was a bust, eh? I had a bad patch early in 2013 where I somehow lost interest in horror movies. I know. How is that possible? I couldn’t tell you – it just happened all of a sudden. One day I was starting a blog to write up a horror movie every week, and the next I couldn’t even muster up enough interest to go see the Evil Dead remake.

I think I just got burnt out, somehow. I wrote a novel and was spending a lot of time/effort doing rewrites – I think that was part of it. I was also reading a lot of horror film theory and I think maybe all that peeking behind the curtain killed a little of the magic for me.

Regardless, my interest started resurfacing this summer and by the time September hit I was actively seeking out films to add to the stack for this my annual 31 Days, 31 Horror Movies thread that I've been doing on RPG.net.

I don’t know how many of these will get watched, but at least a few.
So! The rules:
  1. It’s got to be a horror movie (no sci-fi unless it crosses genres – so Alien works, but Aliens does not).
  2. I have to watch one a day, but I might not get to write it up for a day or two.
  3. No set watch-list. I’ll decide that day what I’ll watch (and I’ll take recommendations under consideration). The only exception is if I get an itching for a particular film and I don’t currently have access – I’ll plan around when I can rent/borrow/buy it.
  4. I’m thinking of doing theme weekends this year. Creature Feature is a definite (with Prophecy and Alligator already set aside), but I’m thinking of adding something like Remakes (Evil Dead and Halloween, maybe?), Comedy Horror (Return of the Living Dead and Tucker and Dale vs Evil?) or... well, who knows. I guess we’ll see how it goes!
  5. Probably should go without saying, but there are bound to be spoilers galore.
I’ve got Netflix AND Hulu this year, so options for streaming should be good.

As is my way, these won’t be critical reviews for the most part – just rambling thoughts (though some critique may sneak in). 

Next post: the first film of 31 Days: PSYCHO!

No comments:

Post a Comment